Bellator has firmly established itself as a powerhouse company, and Bellator 300, which took place at the Pechanga Arena in San Diego, CA, was a watershed moment in the organization’s history.
Some of the most memorable fights in Bellator history include the trilogy between Eddie Alvarez and Michael Chandler, which is still imprinted in the minds of fight fans. Furthermore, A.J. McKee and Patricio Pitbull’s tough competition for the featherweight belt has enhanced Bellator’s legacy.
Cris Cyborg’s dominance in the featherweight division and the late-career resurgence of Fedor Emelianenko, despite some challenges, have also contributed to Bellator’s success. Not to forget Ilima-Lei Macfarlane, who has become synonymous with bringing MMA to the beautiful shores of Hawaii.
Bellator 300 Main Event: Usman vs. Primus
At the heart of Bellator 300 was the eagerly anticipated lightweight title showdown between Usman Nurmagomedov and Brent Primus. This bout marked the first semifinal of the lightweight grand prix, with another thrilling installment set for November, featuring Patricky Pitbull against Alexander Shabliy. The stakes were high, and the MMA world eagerly tuned in to witness these elite fighters clash inside the cage.
Cyborg vs. Zingano: A Long-Awaited Battle
The women’s featherweight championship fight between Cris Cyborg and Cat Zingano was another highlight of Bellator 300. This battle had been eagerly anticipated by fans as a meeting of giants in the women’s category. The tension was high with the championship on the line, and the decision would have far-reaching consequences for the women’s featherweight class.
Carmouche vs. Macfarlane: A Friendly Encounter
Adding to the excitement, Liz Carmouche squared off against friend Ilima-Lei Macfarlane for the women’s flyweight championship. However, it was not without its drama, as Macfarlane missed weight on Friday, rendering her ineligible to win or retain the title. Despite this setback, the fight was sure to be a compelling contest between two skilled athletes.
Full event coverage
Bellator 300 was a star-studded event that catered to MMA fans worldwide. The main card, featuring explosive matchups, was broadcast live on Showtime in the United States, with online preliminaries preceding it. For fans in Canada, the event was available via streaming PPV. The action-packed night began with prelims at 6:30 PM ET, leading up to the main card, which kicks off at 10 PM.
Bellator Results: Nurmagomedov vs. Primus Results
- Lightweight championship: Usman Nurmagomedov def. Brent Primus via UD (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)
- Women’s Featherweight Championship: Cris Cyborg def. Cat Zingano via TKO “ground and pound” – Round 1, 4:05
- Women’s flyweight championship: Liz Carmouche def. Ilima-Lei Macfarlane via TKO “injury” – Round 5, 0:17
- Heavyweight: Slim Trabelsi def. Davion Franklin via submission (verbal) – Round 1, 3:09
- Middleweight: Grant Neal def. Romero Cotton via UD (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Lightweight: Sergio Cossio def. Jesse Roberts via submission “triangle choke” – Round 3, 4:05
- Featherweight: Kai Kamaka III def. Henry Corrales via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Women’s featherweight: Leah McCourt def. Sara McMann via TKO “ground and pound” – Round 1, 4:30
- Women’s Flyweight: Jena Bishop def. Ilara Joanne via submission “armbar” – Round 1, 2:45
- Bantamweight: Bobby Seronio III def. Alberto Garcia via UD (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Catchweight (180lb): Mukhamed Berkhamov def. Herman Terrado via UD (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Light Heavyweight: Dovletdzhan Yagshimuradov def. Maciej Rozanski via UD (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Catchweight (160lb): Dmytrii Hrytsenko vs. Justin Montalvo
- Bantamweight: Bryce Meredith vs. Miguel Peimbert
- Heavyweight: Josh Hokit def. Spencer Smith via submission “arm-triangle choke” – Round 3, 3:48
- Women’s Featherweight: Lorrany Santos vs. Jackie Cataline